The purpose of the Local Government Committee (LGC) is:
- To advise the GICC on issues, problems, and opportunities relating to GIS within local governments in North Carolina.
- To inform local government users of geographic information about the status of GIS activities in the state, GIS efforts in state government, and the actions of the GICC.
If there are issues or concerns that you would like the LGC to address, please contact the Chair.
The Chair is elected by the members of the LGC. The Chair is Kat Clifton
Staff support is provided by Jeff Brown
- Geospatial Metadata: State and Local Government Profile. The LGC is working with the Statewide Mapping Advisory Committee on revising the metadata standard for North Carolina and implementing the standard for data published by local governments.
- NC Parcel Project. Local government participation in the Working Group for Seamless Parcels and individually will be vital in a project to expand and sustain a standardized set of county parcel data. The NC Integrated Cadastral Data Exchange achieved transformation of 25 of 100 counties in April 2014. The online NC Parcel Transformer was implemented to translate local data fields to a standard set of fields and to publish statewide data and web services.
- GIS Technical Advisory Committee. The LGC will support the GIS TAC with information about mobile applications of geospatial data.
ESRI Master Purchase Agreement
The NC Office of Information Technology Services signed an Enterprise License Agreement with ESRI in effect through July 2015 that includes a Master Purchase Agreement for local governments. For details, see here
When the local government GIS community needs to be informed about a hot topic, LGC member organizations sends an LGC Alert to their respective list serves.
See the LGC Alert list
for current topics and issues.
LGC Advisory Team
In 2005, the LGC established the GIS Advisory Team whose members provide recommendations and technical guidance to the LGC regarding issues of concern to the local government GIS community. The “A Team” serves as a primary link between the LGC and the GIS community. See the A-Team Members
Associations Represented on the LGC
The LGC is comprised of a single representative from each of the following organizations:
- Association of Regional Council Executive Directors (ARCED)
- Carolina Chapter of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (CURISA)
- NC Association of County Commissioners (NCACC)
- NC Chapter of the American Planning Association (APA-NC)
- NC League of Municipalities (NCLM)
- NC Local Government Information Systems Association (NCLGISA)
- NC Property Mappers Association (NCPMA)