The purpose of the Local Government Committee (LGC) is:
- To advise the GICC on issues, problems, and opportunities relating to GIS within local governments in North Carolina.
- To inform local government users of geographic information about the status of GIS activities in the state, GIS efforts in state government, and the actions of the GICC.
If there are issues or concerns that you would like the LGC to address, please contact the Chair.
The Chair is elected by the members of the LGC. The Chair is Kathryn Clifton
Staff support is provided by Jeff Brown
- Archival and Long Term Access to Geospatial Data. The LGC will work with State Archives to explore implementation of the recommendations.
- Surveyors’ Model Law Working Group. In 2009 the Local Government Committee submitted several questions to the NC Geographic Information Coordinating Council about aspects of Surveyor’s Law regarding the collection of GIS data by local governments and Councils of Government. The LGC is happy to announce that the NC Attorney General’s Office recently issued two advisory opinions that clarify the issues. See the announcement at the link.
- Working Group for Roads and Transportation. The LGC encourages local governments to upload street centerline data to NC Street Map and allow that data to be downloaded for free through NC OneMap.
ESRI Master Purchase Agreement
The NC Office of Information Technology Services signed an Enterprise License Agreement with ESRI in July 2010. It includes a Master Purchase Agreement for local governments. The term of the agreement is for five years. For details, see here
When the local government GIS community needs to be informed about a hot topic, LGC member organizations sends an LGC Alert to their respective list serves.
See the LGC Alert list
for current topics and issues.
LGC Advisory Team
In 2005, the LGC established the GIS Advisory Team whose members provide recommendations and technical guidance to the LGC regarding issues of concern to the local government GIS community. The “A Team” serves as a primary link between the LGC and the GIS community. See the A-Team Members
Associations Represented on the LGC
The LGC is comprised of a single representative from each of the following organizations:
- Association of Regional Council Executive Directors (ARCED)
- Carolina Chapter of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (CURISA)
- NC Association of County Commissioners (NCACC)
- NC Chapter of the American Planning Association (APA-NC)
- NC League of Municipalities (NCLM)
- NC Local Government Information Systems Association (NCLGISA)
- NC Property Mappers Association (NCPMA)